- This event has passed.
Image & Sentence: Poetry workshop (8 weeks) (online), register by April 20
April 26, 2022 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm EDT
Image is often thought of as a picture in the mind, although any sensory experience counts. Ezra Pound defined image as “that which presents an intellectual and emotional complex in an instant of time.” It’s the flash of epiphany—what makes us go “Ah!”
And yet poems are made of sentences, or parts of sentences–one word after another. In this class we’ll look at the way words, lines, and sentences prepare the way for moments of increased awareness. Through discussion and brief written commentary you will observe how poets as diverse as John Keats, Yehuda Amichai, Brigit Kelly, Reginald Dwayne Betts, and others wrangle with this interplay.
Participants will generate new writing and discuss it in workshop in the same way we discuss published work: noticing how it’s working, rather than “fixing” other people’s poems. First rule of workshop feedback: Respect.
Meets eight Tuesdays, April 26 through Tuesday, June 14
Registration deadline: April 20
- MCA of CNY member = $150
- Syracuse Downtown Writer’s Center member (and members of other YMCAs) = $116
- Non-Member = $155
- Click here to view the catalog.
- Payment directions are on page 4.
- Registration form is on page 6.
- Register by phone with a credit card by calling (315) 474-6851 x380.
- If you must pay by check, please call first to reserve your place, then return your form with check payable to “YMCA” to:
- The YMCA’s Downtown Writers Center,
- 340 Montgomery St., Syracuse, NY 13202
To see all past events click here.